India has an obscenely high number of people who are suffering from obesity. Research shows that the number of people with obesity has doubled in the past 10 years. Obesity is calculated by Weight vs. Height by BMI. Obstetricians in Siliguri use, BMI = Weight (kg)/Height (m)2, to check the obesity of an individual.
Table of contents:
- What are the causes of obesity?
- What are the risks of obesity?
- What are the treatments for obesity?
What are the causes of obesity?
- Energy imbalance
- Increased use of energy dense foods.
- Decrease in physical activity.
- Genetic inclination.
- Certain medications for treating illnesses.
- Endocrine disorders.
What are the risks of obesity?
- Heart attack
- Stroke or paralysis
- PCOS & infertility in women
- Fatty Liver & NASH
- Sleep apnea
- Many forms of cancer
What are the treatments for obesity?
There are many forms of treatment available, some of them include:
Dietary Modification: If you decide to go through a dietary modification,obstetricians in Siliguri recommend that youconsult with a health professional who can customize a diet to meet your needs.A diet should greatly limit your calorie intake, but maintain the nutrition your body gets. Calorie-restrictive diets fall into two common categories.
- Low calorie diets (LCDs): These types of dietsare individually planned diets that include 500 to 1,000 calories a day less than you burn.
- Very low calorie diets (VLCDs): These types of dietstypically mitigate calorie intake to only 400 to 800 a day and instead uses high-protein, low-fat liquids.
Behavior Modification: behavior modification therapy is a technique used with the goal of changing you’re eating and exercise habits to promote healthy weight loss. Some examples include:
- Setting a realistic short term weight loss and a long term weight loss goal
- Keeping a record of your diet and exercise patterns in a diary.
- Identification of high-risk situations and learning how to avoid them.
- Shedding unrealistic beliefs about weight loss and body image.
Exercise: Exercise is the best way to maintain long-term weight loss. It is a crucial component for any long-term weight management program, weight-loss surgery in particular. Daily physical activity can help to speed up your metabolism which in turn aids in weight loss. Here are some examples of exercise methods you can start with:
- Ride an exercise bike.
- Swim or take part in low-impact water aerobics.
- Take the stairs at every opportunity you can.
- Walk briskly for five minutes in the morning and in the afternoon.
New Ramkrishna Seva Sadan has a team of the bestobstetricians in Siliguri.